Pastor Cornelius Elven was the first pastor of Garland Street Baptist Church he would walk from Bury St. Edmunds to Conyers Green each week to preach. Many villages were converted to Christianity and regularly walked to Garland Street to attend Sunday morning services.
Between 1875 and 1894 evening meetings were held in a cottage on Conyers Green. The cottage still stands there today.
In 1894 a Mission Hall was opened on the Conyers Green. The Mission Hall stood adjacent to Livermere Road just before the turning into Vicarage Farm. The fellowship prospered under the guidance of the Garland Street Church until 1948 when the Church at Great Barton became independent and at the same time sought to find the means to construct a larger building.The new building became a reality in 1956 when the present church building was completed in Mill Road.
Later the old Mission Hall building was moved to its present site behind the church where it continues to serve us well.
A Brief History